Saturday, June 18, 2016

Walmart Tees & The National Indoor Soccer Championship




I arrived in Cleveland on Saturday afternoon, not knowing much of what to expect. It was a hectic morning, therefore I hadn't much time to process the reality of attending my first soccer tournament without Ethan.

We settled into our hotel, then immediately had to drive over to the soccer complex in where Nationals was being held. As I walked through the door, that reality came full circle.

Looking around, I observed a large amount of people. There were players on various teams from all over Ohio, Illinois, Virginia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Canada. Teams with sponsors such as Puma, and Lexus. At that moment, it hit me how proud E would have been to have the opportunity to play in such a soccer tournament of this magnitude. I could imagine the smirky little smile he would have had walking into that tournament.

To think of him missing this opportunity, and the bonding experience we could have shared as mother and son, was too much for me to bear.

The Walmart Tees went into the tournament without five of their original players. They were able to recruit three new ones. The team played two games that night, and one the next afternoon. The games were organized in a 6 v 6 with forty minute games. They had a total of seven players, leaving them with only one sub to give breaks. It was apparent by the middle of the game, our players were becoming tired. But they pressed on. At this time, the opposing teams began subbing their players. I watched as they replaced their players with what seemed another whole team.

What struck me though, was how well our team played under these difficult circumstances without a single complaint. They pushed on till the very end, not giving up, scoring a few goals in each game.

As I watched them play, I went through every emotion one could imagine. For the first two games, I wanted to cheer them on, but every time I tried, flashbacks to the many years of cheering my E out there on the soccer field, consumed me. His absence, hurt my soul. Deeply.

But as they continued on with sheer determination, I observed that same passion I did when E played. Those thoughts began to pass, and by the last game, I was able to cheer for them.

They gave it their all. In every way. Those boys ran, passed, dribbled and kicked the ball till they were physically and mentally beyond exhaustion. Their tennis player goalie blocked shot after shot.

At the conclusion of the final game, the scores were against them. But that didn't matter to them...or me. No, because this tournament wasn't about the scoreboard. It was about much more.

Perseverance, courage, a love of the game, playing with all odds stacked against them, and coping with the loss of their friend and teammate. They played hard, and well to honor our beloved E. And for that…..they are true winners.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13


Posted on Facebook 3/2/16 https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205512894370747&set=a.1400614824401.2057436.1503211485&type=3&theater


No comments:

Post a Comment