Tuesday, June 28, 2016

2016 Softball Champions honor E



The girls immediately after winning their game.


It has been awhile since I've watched a softball game. Actually, to be honest, probably not since high school.

There are few reasons why, I suppose. I’ve never been a real sports fan, in school I lacked that coordination to participate. But mostly, it was that I just never took the time.

So it drew my attention when I was told the senior girls requested Ethan's initials be put on the sleeve of their uniform. I felt that with such a kind gesture, I really should take the time to attend one of their games.



The first one I watched was their last played on home field. I have to admit I was quite surprised.
It certainly wasn't the same game I remember watching in high school.

This...was so much more.

I watched a dynamically orchestrated symphony of team members working in sync to create a fast paced, intense competition. These girls played together as smoothly as a well oiled machine.
I was in awe of the impressive talent and determination displayed on that field by these young ladies.
So it came as no surprise to me when they made it to the state championship.





I thought of how proud Ethan would have been to see them make it there. He cared so much about his schoolmates succeeding at whatever their hand found to do.
And I know he would have been right there for their championship game, cheering his friends on in their success, their sportsmanship.

So on Saturday, Jim, the boys and I traveled to Akron to watch these girls play in the state championship game.
The momentum going into that game was SOMETHING.

And in the end, The Wheelersburg Lady Pirate Softball Team won the state championship for the first time since 1983.



Afterwards, we watched as this team ran onto the field shouting “EP7” with such emotion while they huddled together. It was truly humbling to see the same passion and love of the game that our E had when he played soccer.

Their winning season was not only because of their talent, hard work and determination, but because of their heart and soul.

And that not only makes them winners on the field...
It will carry them through life’s ups and downs to be... winners in life.

“Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might”. Ecclesiastes 9:10

No comments:

Post a Comment